The newest approach to tissue regeneration
Why Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF)?
- Regenerates bone quicker in extraction sites including wisdom teeth
- Regenerates bone quicker after socket preservation surgery
- Regenerates bone quicker for dental implants
- Lowers risk of infection
- Induces faster healing
- Produces less post-operative pain
- Decreases post-operative swelling
- Decreases occurrence of dry socket
- Decreases occurrence of cavitations
- Is 100% biocompatible since it is derived from your own blood
- Repairs bony defects created by removal of teeth
- Regenerates bone in sinus lift procedures
- Repairs fistulas between the sinus cavity and the mouth
What is Platelet Rich Fibrin?
- PRF is a by-product of blood (plasma) that is rich in platelets.
- PRF permits the body to take advantage of the normal healing process at a greatly accelerated rate. During the healing process, the body rushes many cells and cell-types to the wound in order to initiate healing. One of those cell types is platelets. Platelets perform many functions, including formation of a blood clot and release of growth factors into the wound. These growth factors (platelet derived growth factors PGDF, transforming growth factor beta TGF, and insulin-like growth factor ILGF) function to assist the body in repairing itself by stimulating stem cells to regenerate new tissue. The more growth factors released into the wound, the more stem cells stimulated to produce new host tissue. Thus, PRF permits the body to heal faster and more efficiently. A subfamily of TGF, is bone morphogenic protein (BMP). BMP has been shown to induce the formation of new bone. This is of great significance during socket preservation procedures and other dental implant related surgeries. By adding PRF, and thus BMP, to the implant site with bone substitute particles, bone can be grown more predictably and faster than ever before.
The benefits of Platelet Rich Fibrin
- Safety- PRF is a by-product of your own blood, therefore, disease transmission is not an issue.
- Convenience- PRF is generated in our office during your surgical procedure, such as a tooth extraction and/or socket preservation procedure.
- Faster healing- The supersaturation of the wound with PRF, and thus growth factors, produces an increase of tissue synthesis and thus faster tissue regeneration
- Ease of use- PRF is easy to handle and actually improves the ease of application of bone grafting materials.